Magazine review

Research

To provide some background research before producing my magazine review, I purchased a copy of Empire magazine to see how the professionals review films. I have scanned two of their articles reviewing the films 'The Adjustment Bureau' and 'The Green Hornet'.

This review uses a still from the film in the middle of the two pages as the main focal point. The colours yellow and blue create a sense of theme for the review. To begin the review they provide a breakdown of the details including release date, director, cast, certificate, running time and plot. There is also a quote from the review that has been highlighted and magnified.


This review has the whole left page taken up by a photo advertising the film. The title uses the same green as the picture but unlike the last review there is no breakdown of the details or quotes highlighted. Everything is included in the text instead, which is presented in vertical columns with a clean line underneath.

My Two-page Film Magazine Review pages

Review (page 1)

Review (page 2)

Evaluation

I have stuck to using two colours in my review to create a theme and have used the original title from my poster to show brand identity. I have included stills from the film and presented a breakdown of it's details such as release date, director, cast, certificate, running time and plot. I have also awarded the theme a rating using a star system that is common throughout film reviews. I have highlighted a quote from the review 'one of the best noirs of the 21st century' and have also quoted it in my film poster. The text is provided in vertical columns with a clean line underneath to finish.